Almond Joy Ice Cream and the Benefits of Coconut Milk
Maria Emmerich, wow what an inspiration! Maria is a nutritional expert that has written 4 books (2 Nutritional Guides and 2 cookbooks) and has a blog with tips and recipes at www.mariahealth.blogspot.com. Maria is also on a quest to remove GMO foods and chemicals from our foods. For more information about Maria, check out her website www.marianutrition.com and her blog at mariahealth.blogspot.com
Almond Joy Ice Cream
3 cups (2 cans) unsweetened coconut milk
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
6 TBS erythritol (or xylitol)
1 tsp stevia glycerite (omit if using xylitol)
1 tsp almond extract (or vanilla)
Whisk cocoa powder in a small amount of coconut milk, until smooth. Then add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until well combined. Make according to your machines instructions. This ice cream will get very hard in the freezer, but I just set it out for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy! Makes 6 servings.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Ice Cream = 266 calories, 24 carbs, trace fiber
“Healthified” Ice Cream = 276 calories, 6.5 carbs, 2.6g fiber
*Note: it is not all about the calories! But more importantly WHERE those calories come from!
Here are some amazing facts about why Maria and we all should love Coconut Milk!!
1. DIABETICS: Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose. Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
2. INTESTINAL DISORDERS: Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease. Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers. Improves digestion and bowel function. Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids. Supports tissue healing and repair of the intestines. Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
3. ATHLETES: Provides ketones for a quick source energy. Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance. This also helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
4. IMMUNE SYSTEM: Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses. It also kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
5. Kills fungi and yeasts that cause thrush, candida, ringworm, athlete’s foot, diaper rash, and other infections.
6. Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body. Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
7. OSTEOPOROSIS: Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
8. HEART DISEASE: Reduces inflammation. It is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease. Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
9. AGING: Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease. Does not deplete the body’s antioxidant reserves like other oils do. Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation. Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
10. KIDNEY STONES: Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections. Dissolves kidney stones.
11. WEIGHT LOSS: It is lower in calories than all other fats and it supports thyroid function. It promotes weight loss by increasing metabolic rate. Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats. Medium chained triglycerides produce ketones (energy) rather than being stored as fat.
12. SKIN DISORDERS: Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection. Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis. Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin. Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking. Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion. Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun. Helps control dandruff.
13. Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.