Yes you are likely to have the same reaction that I did..Barley Water? However it is absolutely delicious, nutritious and oh so easy to make! Plus you will have some fantastic cooked barley also that you can use for a salad, porridge, or anything your heart desires.
Some health benefits of Barley water include~
1. Barley water is a good source of natural fiber that has some cardiovascular benefits. For example, a study in the Archives of Internal Medicine found it can help treat atherosclerosis, the thinning of the arteries due to plaque buildup.
2. The fiber that comes from barley water is also known to lower cholesterol. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed this is because barley fiber is high in beta glucan and produces propionic acid in the body, both of which lower cholesterol.
3. Barley water is a great source of magnesium, which reacts with many different enzymes that involve glucose levels in the body. This can help to reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes, as stated in Diabetes Care journal
4. The fiber that is available from barley water is insoluble. This type of fiber has been beneficial to women in preventing the formation of gallstones, which was shown in a 16-year study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.
5. Barley water also contains important phytonutrients known as lignans. These are antioxidants that are known to help fight and prevent cancer, in addition to promoting a healthy heart, which was proven in a Danish study published in the Journal of Nutrition.
Barley Water Recipe
2 Quarts Water
1 cup hulled barley
1/2 cup maple syrup (or natural sweetener of choice, honey, etc and to taste if preferred)
1-2 Tbsp cinnamon
pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
1. Add water and barley in a medium saucepan, and set over high heat and bring to a boil. Once the barley begins to boil, decrease heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes, strain the barley through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher. Add maple syrup, spices and any other flavor concoctions of your choice; HAVE FUN!
3. Serve Warm
*Save barley and use for the recipe of your choice, I will post a few to get your creative cooking juices flowing.