Bauman College – Mexican Chocolate Tart
Allergy Kids Foundation Recipes | Compliments of Bauman College, Boulder | May 2, 2010
A gluten free crust made of nuts and coconut flour. The mexican style dark chocolate filling contains warming spices that help improve blood flow such as cinnamon, cayenne and ginger.
- 3/4 cup cashews, toasted
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 cup agave nectar for the crust
- 2 pinches sea salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened chocolate, or equivalent of chocolate liquor wafers
- 1/2 cup agave nectar, for filling
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out a circle of parchment paper to fit bottom of 9’’ tart pan with removable bottom. Grease bottom and sides of pan with almond oil using a pastry brush. Place parchment paper on bottom of pan. Grease parchment.
- Place cashews, macadamia nuts and one pinch salt in a food processor. Pulse until a coarse meal is formed. Add coconut flour and cinnamon and pulse until just combined.
- Add 1/8 cup agave nectar and almond oil. Pulse until combined and ball begins to form. Place tart pan on a sheet pan. Put nut mixture into pan. Carefully spread mixture into pan making sure to press into fluted sides and bottom. Thickness of sides should be slightly thicker than bottom. Bake in oven 13-18 minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Chop chocolate in a food processor or by hand. Place in bowl and add the 1/2 cup agave nectar. Place coconut milk in a small heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add a pinch of salt. Split vanilla bean and scrape out seeds. Add seeds and bean to coconut milk. Whisk in the cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne to the coconut and heat the mixture until it just comes to a boil. Remove bean and pour mixture over chocolate. Immediately begin to whisk filling. Continue until all chocolate is melted and filling looks smooth and silky.
- Pour filling into cooled crust. Carefully tap to make sure filling is even. Put into refrigerator. After 45 minutes, cover tightly with foil. Allow to chill for another 3 hours. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30-40 minutes before serving. Carefully remove from pan, slice and serve.