Allergy Kids Foundation Recipes | June 8, 2010
The health benefits of turmeric lie in the active ingredient called curcumin. This powerful compound gives turmeric its therapeutic benefits, its yellow color, and its pungent flavor. More specifically, curcumin harbors antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, stomach-soothing, and liver-and heart-protecting effects. I start all of my green smoothies with this base milk, full of protein and natural sweetness.
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric,freshly grated
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup milk or almond milk*
- honey to taste
- Boil water and turmeric in small saucepan over medium-high heat for 8 minutes (the turmeric must be fully cooked).
- Meanwhile, bring the milk to a soft boiling point in a separate pan and remove from heat.
- Combine the two mixtures and add honey to taste.