At AllergyKids, we are always grateful for the friends that we meet on Twitter and Facebook. Your stories inspire us every day, and we are in awe of how many of you have created extraordinary changes in your own life and in the lives of those that you love.
One of those people is Lora Krulak who shares her story in her own words and a great granola recipe!
“Afflicted from a young age by food allergies and intolerances, I was inspired to become a culinary adventurer and dietary problem solver.
And I have always been a sucker for a great Granola. Many times I can’t keep it in my house because I want to eat all of it! I started making my own because most of the store bought ones had seeds or wheat flakes or nuts – or just things that I didn’t want to eat.
I appreciate making my own as it is highly adaptable to any allergy, intolerance or picky eater as you can replace, substitute, add, multiply and divide any of the ingredients to your hearts content or as your audience requests. The recipe is very forgiving.”
1C buckwheat cereal
1C uncooked millet
1/3 C maple syrup
¼ c coconut oil (or butter or any oil)
Zest of 1 lime
¼ t salt
• Melt the coconut oil on a large cookie sheet
• Toss all of the ingredients (except lime zest) on the sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until brown.
• Stir occasionally and be sure not to burn the cereal
• Toss with lime zest and let cool
* Dried coconut can be added but wait until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.