Allergy Kids Foundation Recipes | Angela Simon | May 2, 2010
Rhubarb is here! From May to mid-June this perennial plant is available to harvest and buy. Look for the deeper red hue stalks as they naturally contain more sweetness.
- 4 cups rhubarb
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten free flour and or your flour of baking choice
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, maple syrup, orange zest and vanilla in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Dissolve arrowroot in water. Add to rhubarb mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly, set aside.
- Mix together flour, oats, sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon and walnuts until crumbly. Place 1/3 of mixture in bottom of a greased 9×13 greased pan and press to make an even layer.
- Pour in rhubarb mixture, spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining crumb topping over top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool, cut into squares and serve with your favorite dairy or non dairy topping.