Sweet Pea Soup
Allergy Kids Foundation Recipes | June 8, 2010
- 1 cup dried split peas, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low or no sodium
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth or water
- 2 stalks organic celery, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tablespoon dried mint or 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- 2 packed cups organic baby spinach or romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Simmer dried split peas in 4 cups vegetable broth or water, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions in 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or water until soft, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add onions to peas along with remaining ingredients, except for spinach or lettuce. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes, or until peas and vegetables are soft.
- Remove bay leaf. Place half of the mixture in a blender and blend until creamy. Pour back into soup.
- Add spinach or lettuce and stir to wilt.