Vegan Chai Coconut Cake Recipe
Allergy Kids Foundation Recipes | Angela Simon | May 2, 2010
A light yet dense cake, perfect for any occasion. With a slight sweetness and complexity of flavors from the chai spices. I serve it with the coconut dulce de leche sauce. Delicious! Egg allergy friendly.
- 1 cup Chai Tea
- 1/3 cup Uncooked Organic Oatmeal
- 3/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 3/4 cup Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Organic Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans (Optional)
- 1/2 cup Flaked Coconut, 2 tbsp Reserved
- Prepare the Chai ahead of time by steeping two teabags in one cup of boiling water until cool (or you can purchase Bhakti Chai or your favorite chai).
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients (oatmeal through sugar) in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the Chai, applesauce, vinegar, vanilla, syrup, pecans and all but the 2 tablespoons of coconut.
- Mix well, and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the reserved coconut and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with Coconut Dulche de Leche sauce